Going Abroad – Information for doctoral candidates

In light of the current situation concerning the Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2, the services including personal consultations shall occur exclusively via electronic communication channels. Appointments for consultation via video conference can be made under researchLUH@zuv.uni-hannover.de.

  • What is the purpose of your stay and how long will you be staying?

    Doctoral candidates who wish to spend time abroad during their doctoral studies should plan their stay as soon as possible. First of all, you should determine the purpose and duration of your stay.

    • international conference or workshop
    • laboratory or archive visit of short duration
    • teaching abroad
    • summer or winter academy
    • extended research visit
  • What funding opportunities are available?

    Short-term visits (up to a maximum of one month)

    Conferences and short-term research visits

    • The Graduate Academy provides a  travel allowance for participating in conferences or congresses. In addition, a travel allowance may be granted for short-term research visits (maximum duration: four weeks).


    Teaching mobility:

    University courses

    University courses and language courses:

    • The PROMOS programme provides funding for participation in specific university courses and language courses in Russia and Asia.

    Extended research visits

    Funding opportunities at Leibniz University Hannover:

    • The Graduate Academy awards research mobility grants (“Auslands-Stipendium”). The maximum funding period is 6 months.


    Other funding opportunities:

    • The DAAD provides a grant to support research visits abroad (webpage only in German). Information on subject-specific funding opportunities can be found in the DAAD database.
    • Doctoral candidates may conduct research at one of our partner universities for a maximum of 2 semesters within the scope of the Erasmus+ programme.
    • In addition, there are various funding opportunities for specific countries. For further information, please contact the regional coordinators at the International Office.
  • What do I need to consider before leaving Germany?


    Depending on your destination, you should check the visa requirements in good time.

    • Which entry and residence requirements apply in the target country?
    • Which visa should I apply for?
    • Which documents are required for the visa application?
    • Where and when do I apply?
    • Can I use my current visa to enter another country or to conduct research there?
    • How much is the visa application fee?


    Doctoral candidates who will be spending time abroad can sublet their apartment or room in Hannover to international students via the accommodation service of the International Office.

    Leave of absence

    Please contact the Admissions Office if you intend to take leave of absence for spending time abroad.

    Members of research staff employed at an institute should contact human resources.

    Other arrangements

    Please remember to sort out issues such as health care, insurances, etc.

    Accident insurance of Leibniz University Hannover

    In the case of overseas visits, the insurance cover is only valid for events organised by a German higher education institute. Usually, only overseas stay that are organised and managed by a German higher education institute are recognised. Self-organised overseas visits, even if these are supported by the German higher eduction institute and are seen as necessary for the completion of the doctorate, are not covered by the insurance.

    Please contact the regional coordinators at the International Office with any queries.

    Further information and advice regarding individual countries can be found on the website of  the Federal Foreign Office.

Dr. Solenne Schwanemann
Administrative/Technical Staff
Welfengarten 1A
30167 Hannover
Welfengarten 1A
30167 Hannover