Administrative Procedures


  • Visa

    Please check this website to determine whether you require a visa to enter Germany.

    If a visa is require, please note that tourist visa are not suitable for educational visits at universities and cannot be converted into long-term residence permits.

    Doctoral candidates employed by LUH as well as visiting doctoral candidates may apply for a visa in their capacity as researcher. For this purpose, a signed hosting agreement provided by the institute must be submitted.

    Work contract and visa-free entry

    Since the Foreigners' authority in Hannover is usually quite busy and employement contracts can only be concluded with a valid work permit for Germany, doctoral candidates seeking employment at LUH should apply for a visa before their arrival - even if they do not require a visa for entering Germany. This way, you can start your position straight away.

    If applicable, non-EU citizens legally staying in the EU and conducting research at LUH (max. 360 days) may benefit from the EU Directive 2016/801 (REST). For detailed information, please contact Dr. Solenne Schwanemann.


  • Registration at the Citizens' administration office

    Anyone staying in Germany for more tha 90 days will be required to register at the local citizens' administration office. Registration should occur within two weeks of their arrival and is mandatory, both for EU and non-EU citizens.

    When registering at the citizens' administration office, please provide a valid passport or identity card as weel as the completed form "Wohnungsgeberbestätigung" (confirmation of your move signed by your landlord). In some caes, additional documents may be required, such as certificate for marriages that took place abroad including a translated version.

    If you live in Hannover, appointment should be booked online.

  • Registration at the Foreigners' authorities (non-EU citizens)

    If their visa does not cover the entire duration of their stay, non-EU citizens spending more than 90 days in Germany must apply for a residence permit at the foreigners' authority.

    The responsible foreigners' authority is determined by your place of residence.

    Place of residence in HannoverPlace of residence in the surrounding region of Hannover

    Ausländerbehörde der Stadt Hannover

    Am Schützenplatz 1

    30169 Hannover

    Ausländerbehörde der Region Hannover

    Maschstraße 17

    30169 Hannover

    for short-term appointments (indicated at the beginning of each week) online appoinment

    for long-term appointments via E-mail

    Without appointment during the office hours

    An overview of the required documents is available on this website.

    Proof of sufficient financial resources may be provided via:

    • an employment contract,
    • a document confirming the award of a grant
    • a Blocked account or
    • a Declaration of commitment

    Since 01.01.2020, the required sum amounts to € 10.236.

Dr. Solenne Schwanemann
Administrative/Technical Staff
Welfengarten 1A
30167 Hannover
Welfengarten 1A
30167 Hannover