The heart of Leibniz Universität Hannover beats in the idyllic Welfenschloss, the Guelph Palace. The year 1879 saw the Higher Vocational School, originally founded in 1831, move into the palace. Later, the Higher Vocational School became the Königliche Technische Hochschule, the Royal College of Technology. While 64 pupils first attended the Vocational School, the university now has around 28.000 students. More than 3.000 academics and scientists work at the university in 9 faculties with around 160 departments and institutes.