UniversityInternationalComing to Hannover
Visa and Administrative Requirements

Visa and Official Administrative Procedures

This page provides information on formalities at the citizen centre and visa issues regarding your stay in Hannover.

Here, you will find special regulations for doctoral candidates.


New residents (coming from the EU or from outside the EU) who live in the City of Hannover must register with one of the eight citizen centres (“Bürgeramt”) in Hannover. They must register within 2 weeks of their arrival in Hannover (important: the appointment must be confirmed).

Appointments must be booked online. Please bring your passport, the completed and signed form  "Wohnungsgeberbestätigung" (confirmation of your move signed by your landlord), and your rental agreement.

Those, however, NOT living in the City of Hannover must register, as described above, at the authorities in the respective municipality where their apartment is located (in Garbsen e.g.).



Non-EU nationals require a visa to enter the Federal Republic of Germany. Please apply for a visa in your home country before your stay and remember to apply for a residence permit at the Foreigners’ Registration Office (“Ausländerbehörde”) in Hannover after your arrival. Please be sure to apply for a long-term visa with the possibility to enter the Federal Republic of Germany on multiple occasions, not a tourist visa. Please note that family members travelling with you also require a visa.

IMPORTANT: Students from “positive third countries” such as the United States of America, Israel, Brazil, or South Korea can enter Germany without a visa (details are available on the website of the Federal Foreign Office). However, if their stay in Germany is longer than 90 days, they will have to apply for a student residence permit at the Foreigners’ Registration Office in Hannover (as specified in section 16 of the German residence act, AufenthG).

Currently, there are two ways of making an appointment with the Foreigner Office of the City of Hannover:

Non-EU students who currently hold a valid residence permit that was issued in another EU Member State and who come to Germany within the scope of EU mobility may study for a period of up to 360 days without a visa (Mobility Guidelines for Non-EU Students and Researchers with an EU Residence Permit). This does not apply to students with a residence permit issued in Great Britain, Ireland or Denmark. In such cases, a national visa for Germany must be obtained additionally.

Detailed information on visa requirements for specific countries can be found here: Federal Foreign Office

The following link provides information on the "Schengen visa".

Residence Permit

In order to stay in Germany, non-EU citizens require a residence permit as specified in section 16 of the German residence act (“Aufenthaltsgesetz”). This includes stays as preparation for university studies with a maximum duration of two years. Furthermore, non-EU citizens are required to provide proof of sufficient financial resources, which must be submitted to the German embassy in your home country or to the Foreigners’ Registration Office in Hannover. The required amount in Hannover is 10,236 euros per year or 853 euros per month (source: Student Services). Students may provide proof of sufficient financial resources

  • by depositing 853 euros per month of their stay in a blocked account (“Sperrkonto”, for one year: 12 months x 853 euros = 10,236 euros)
  • OR by presenting a formal pledge signed by a third party (such as parents) to cover a minimum of 853 euros per month (“Verpflichtungserklärung”)
  • OR through a recognised grant from public funds (such as DAAD or home institution) covering 853 euros per month or by providing proof of income from another source (such as salary).


  • If your apartment is located in the City of Hannover: HannoverServiceCenter (HSC), Am Schützenplatz 1, 30169 Hannover (city railway line 3 or 7, stop “Waterloo”), by appointment only
  • If your apartment is located outside the City but in the Region of Hannover: Foreigner Office of the Region of Hannover, Team Migration, Maschstraße 17, 30169 Hannover, without appointment while these office hours

Required Documents

  • a valid passport and a biometric passport photo
  • proof of sufficient financial resources (to cover living expenses such as grant confirmation, payslip, etc.)
  • proof of health insurance
  • enrolment confirmation
  • married couples: marriage certificate (if the marriage took place after your arrival in Germany)
  • fee: 100 euros, reduced fee for students, free of charge for students in receipt of a grant from institutions in Germany