Language Skills

In general, it is necessary to have proof of language skills in the native and/or classroom language prior to enrollment at a guest university, as well as for applications for scholarships. These are necessary to be able to follow the university courses and to navigate day-to-day life.

Language courses

It is recommended to acquire the respective language skills early. The Center for Applied Linguistics and Special Languages (FSZ) at Leibniz University offers a variety of courses that will enable students to do so.

As an alterntive, courses offered by the local Community College or the Educational Association are a valid option. Please find further information on language courses and schools here:

Language Apps

Furthermore, it is possible to acquire early language skills via language learning apps. Proof of Proficiency must still be issued by any of the institutions above, however, learning via app can be a lot more flexible:

Language certificates

Most guest universities will require proof of proficiency at the point of application or prior to enrolment. Applications for scholarships may also require proof of proficiency in the native and/or classroom language.


For an application for a scholarship, e.g. at the German Academic Foreign Service (DAAD), proof of proficiency is required. Oftentimes, a DAAD Language Certificate is sufficient. The Certificate is available at the Center for Applied Linguistics and Special Languages (FSZ).


The most widely known language test is the TOEFL®-Test (Test of English as a Foreign Language). This test is absolutely necessary for studying abroad in the USA. Most other English speaking universities also accept this as proof of proficiency.

The TOEFL®-Test is available to be taken at LUH. TOEFL® will examine skills in Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking.

All further information on the TOEFL®-Test, including information an costs and registering for a test can be found here:

Other Language Certificates

Which Language Certificate is needed for a study period abroad can vary. Information can usually be found on the respective university's website or can be inquired from the regional coordinator at the International Office.