Engineering and Business Administration
(Master of Science)

A person points to a sketch. ©, Fotolia
©, Fotolia


Course type
Postgraduate studies (Master)
Standard Course Duration
4 semesters
Course Start
Winter semester
Language of Instruction
Language Requirements

German HZB: none
International application: German C1
Find out more

Restricted admission

Stay abroad possible, but not obligatory.

Short Description

What is the best way to link the technical perfection and marketability of products? Thanks to the combination of Engineering and Business Administration, students address a wide range of topics at university and later in their professions. Graduates of this degree programme are capable of analysing problems of an economic and technical nature, helping them to resolve such issues. They learn the knowledge and skills required to act as intermediaries between engineers and economists, and to overcome communication problems between them. While engineers are primarily concerned with the technical perfection of products, economists are mainly interested in their marketability. Graduates of the degree programme in Engineering and Business Administration are the ideal experts for overcoming communication problems between the two groups.

As the link between business and engineering, industrial engineers sets targets, plan, take decisions, organise and monitor wherever technical and economic issues arise (usually together). During the programme, future industrial engineers gain a thorough insight into both subjects: Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering.

Course Content

  • Business administration: accounting, taxation and public finance, economic policy and theory, empirical economics and econometrics, international environment and development studies, finance, banking & insurance, health economics, information and operations management, strategic management.
  • Engineering: medical technology, automation technology, production technology, robotics/mechatronics, electrical power engineering, digitisation/automation, thermal power engineering.
Course Structure

The Master’s degree programme in Engineering and Business Administration is currently being revised; a new curriculum focusing on the areas of emphasis mentioned above will be introduced in winter semester 2018/2019. Around 60% of the courses are taken in engineering subjects; the remaining 40% are taken in Economics. In the first semester, students select a technical specialisation and a business specialisation. In addition to these two main specialisations, students must also take Statistics, Operations Research and Law. The programme concludes in the fourth semester with a six-month Master’s thesis, worth 30 credit points.

Recommended Abilities

At the Master’s stage, students expand on the knowledge in engineering, mathematics and economics gained on the Bachelor’s degree programme. Students on the Master’s degree programme in Engineering and Business Administration should possess the professional skills taught at the Bachelor’s stage, as well as initial skills for producing scientific work.

Career Opportunities

Industrial engineers analyse problems of an economic and technical nature, and help to resolve them. On the labour market, there is an increasing demand for industrial engineers at management level, in areas such as production planning and production control, product development, procurement and logistics, sales, and in the controlling of industrial enterprises. Additional areas of employment can be found in the public sector, in service industries and commercial enterprises.

Admission requirements and application

Admission Requirements

An undergraduate degree in a related field of study, such as

For master's degree programmes with restricted admission, places shall be allocated according to the university’s own selection procedure, if there are more applicants fulfilling the admission requirements than there are places available. The exact admission requirements can be found in the admission regulations: 

There is no minimum grade / entry grade for the Master''s application. Notwithstanding the currently valid admission regulations for Master''s programmes, the minimum grade of 2.5 is no longer applied. The admission regulations will be revised in this regard.

Application Deadlines

First-year students (application from non-EU countries: VPD from uni-assist is required)

  • June 1st – July 15th of the year for the winter semester

Students resuming their studies and transfer students (application in a higher semester)

  • June 1st – July 15th of the year for the winter semester
  • December 1st – January 15th of the year for the summer semester
Looking for exam information for this course?

Do you have questions about studying? We are happy to help!

Zentrale Studienberatung
Welfengarten 1
30167 Hannover
Zentrale Studienberatung
Welfengarten 1
30167 Hannover