Key Events in the History of the University

see description below see description below see description below
Left: Invitation to an event celebrating the college’s relocation to the Welfenschloss (1879), right: The Welfenschloss, circa 1859
1831 The scholar Karl Karmarsch founds the school "Höhere Gewerbeschule zu Hannover" (Higher Trade School of Hannover). 64 students commence their studies.
1879The school is elevated to the status of a college and is renamed "Königliche Technische Hochschule" (Royal College of Technology). The college moves into the Welfenschloss, which has been renovated for this purpose.
1899The college is given the same rights as a university: Emperor Wilhelm II grants the right to confer doctorates. Complete equality is achieved in 1917, with the equalisation of professorships under public service employment law.
1921 The college's departments are divided into three faculties: the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, the Faculty of Civil Engineering and the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering.
1933 In 1933 and the following years, 14 members of teaching staff and 45 students are affected by unjust actions implemented in the context of the Nazi regime, approved by and partly at the instance of the college. Furthermore, one doctorate and four honorary titles are revoked for racist or political reasons.
1939 Following the start of the Second World War and a temporary closure of the college, research in warfare as well as the production of strategic material is intensified within the scope of at least 175 projects. In this context, forced labour is being used to a significant extent.
1945 Following the end of the war, 13 professors as well as other members of the college are dismissed by the British military government, due to their activities during the Nazi regime. The majority of those affected is reinstated by the early 50s.
1951 The college expands its academic profile by establishing a shipbuilding department.
1952 The former "Hochschule für Gartenbau und Landeskultur" (College of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture) joins the college and is established as a fourth faculty.
1968 The Faculty of Humanities and Political Science is established. The "Technische Hochschule" is renamed "Technische Universität" (University of Applied Sciences).
1973 The Faculty of Law is established.
1974 The Faculty of Economics and Management is established.
1978 The former "Pädagogische Hochschule" (Pedagogic College) joins the university. The former "Technische Universität" is renamed "Universität Hannover".
1980 The university is restructured into 17 departments and two faculties.
1991 For the first time, more than 30,000 students are enrolled at the university.
1995 The university establishes an additional location at Königsworther Platz with 20,000 square metres of floor space.
1997 The university is restructured into 16 departments and one faculty.
2002 Computer Science is established as the 17th independent department.
2005 The former departments are divided into 9 faculties.
2006

On 5 May, Universität Hannover celebrates its 175th anniversary.

On 1 July 2006, the university is renamed "Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Universität Hannover".

2010 The "Leibniz-Stiftungsprofessur" (Leibniz Foundation Professorship) is established to demonstrate the special bond between the university, the city of Hannover and the universal scholar.
2011 A Senate work group starts reviewing the award and withdrawal of academic titles during the Nazi regime at the former "Technische Hochschule Hannover" in order to assess the role of the university's predecessor during this period.
2013 On 20 November 2013, Leibniz University Hannover holds a commemorative ceremony in memory of all those who suffered as a result of restrictions and disparagement at the former "Technische Hochschule Hannover" during the Nazi regime. During the ceremony, the Senate work group presents their report on the award and revocation of titles during the Nazi regime at the former "Technische Hochschule Hannover", in front of relatives of the affected persons, members of the university and members of the public.
2015 In December 2015, milestones for the new alliance "Masterplan Braunschweig-Hannover" are adopted.
2016 In the field of teacher training, the "Leibniz School of Education" is established as an inter-faculty entity. The aim is to promote teacher training courses, while strengthening educational research and increasing the visibility of the topic by pooling expertise.