Tips for the application

List of contents:

For information on application documents and deadlines for individual programmes, please check the websites of the respective region.

Resume/ Curriculum Vitae (CV)

A resumé usually consists of 5 parts:

  1. Personal information: name and surname, date and place of birth, address, phone number and email address. Depending on the requirements, a photo might be necessary.
  2. Academic career: high school/Abitur, job training, field of study, specializations, diplomas (if present)
  3. Secondary activity: part-time jobs, internships, projects
  4. Skills: languages (always with skill level), certificates, advanced training
  5. Interests: pastimes, volunteer activity

Do not forget to date and sign the resumé!

Sample CV (Quelle: Purdue University):

Letter of Motivation

  • Who are you?
  • What are you doing (academically)?
  • What have you achieved so far?
  • What is your goal?
  • What are your strategies to achieve that goal?
  • How does a "study abroad" figure into your plan?
  • Why would studying abroad be conducive to you and your goal?
  • Why this specific university / country? (if you apply to more than one, mention them briefly)
  • What kind of personal benefit do you expect to gain?
  • What kind of professional/academic benefit do you expect to gain?
  • What else is important to you, regarding your study abroad?

Letters of Reference

The Letters of Reference/Academic References may be issued by teachers or professors at LUH.

If you have transferred from a different university the letters of reference may be issued by lecturers or professors at your previous place of study.

Ideally, the professors/teachers who write the reference know you through lectures and seminars. However, even if they do not know you personally, it is often a possibility that teachers and professors will still write you a reference after a personal meeting.

The reference is meant to assess your academic abilities. The focus of the reference is to asses how studying abroad would be conducive to your academic career and your goals. Additionally, the reference is an assessment of how well suited academically you would be for a study abroad period.

English Version of your Transcript

Please contact your respective Examination Office to obtain a translated and certified copy of your LUH Overview (Transcript of Records).

If English documents are not available via the Examination Office, please contact Ms Müller to request a translation:

Charmain Müller
Room 230
Welfengarten 1a

Online Application

Applications must be accompanied by a printout of the LUH Online Application – irrespectively of whether you apply for a period abroad via your faculty, via the International Office or via the Leibniz PROMOS scholarship.

If you apply for Erasmus or a faculty programme, the printout must be signed by the exchange coordinator at your faculty/institute:

  • Please select"My Application" and create a new account with a username and password. This account is separate from you LUH-ID, student ID number etc.
  • You can save your application at any point and return to it later.  Applications will be saved automatically by clicking on “end session”.
  • Please provide all necessary information under "Personal Details". Please note that the field "National Identification Number" refers to your national ID or passport number. Please enter your postal address in Hannover under "Correspondent Address" and your parents' address under "home address" (if different).
  • If you are enrolled in an interdisciplinary bachelor’s degree programme, please enter your major subject under “current studies”. If you are enrolled in a teacher training programme, please select “140” under “academic field”.   

  • Under "Desired Mobility", please select the prgram for which you wish to apply.
  • If you apply for ISEP, please only select your preferred university under “institution”. If your preferred university is not listed in the system, please select another university. (This will not affect the list of preferred universities in your ISEP application.)
  • Under "Study Subject",  please enter the academic field of the exchange or the main subject that you will be taking during the period abroad.
  • If you would like to apply for several programmes – for example for a period abroad at the Chinese University of Hong Kong and for the Leibniz PROMOS scholarship – please click on “more” to add mobility programmes.

  • The section “mobility grant” is mainly aimed at students who intend to spend a period abroad via the ERASMUS programme. You are not required to provide your bank details if you do not apply for a scholarship, but for a university place via another programme. Please enter a zero in each space.
  • Once all the mandatory fields are completed, you will be able submit the form by clicking on “send”. Please print the generated PDF and submit it with your application documents.

Learning Agreement

The Learning Agreement contractually records the classes and lectures that you plan to take while you study abroad.

This is necessary to ensure that your coursework will be recognised. In order to complete your Learning Agreement, please choose courses at the host university and discuss your choices with the exchange coordinator at your faculty. The document must be signed first by the exchange coordinator at your faculty and then by the institutional coordinator at the International Office. The coordinator at your host university will sign the agreement after your arrival.

You only need to complete the Learning Agreement if your application is successful. However, we highly recommend that you contact your institutional coordinator before you hand in your application because a lot of the time you also need to submit a course list. This list usually serves as a basis for the guest university when it comes to choosing your courses.


If you need to update your Learning Agreement, please discuss all changes with the exchange and institutional coordinator at your faculty promptly.