Information for Refugees


Starting university in a new country is often a challenge for refugees, who have had to leave their countries for all kinds of reasons. On this page, Leibniz Universität Hannover provides key information about studying and the support services available at the university:


Online application portal or uni-assist?

Persons who are officially recognised as refugees in Germany can apply to Leibniz University Hannover via the LUH online application portal, not via uni-assist. Applicants for undergraduate studies can apply to study at Leibniz University Hannover even if their certificates are incomplete or missing. In this case, the Admissions Office will review the plausibility of the applicant’s educational data using a self-disclosure form. Please download this form and fill it out thoroughly. You will find more information on how to apply below.

Disclosure of Educational Data for Refugees
PDF, 964 KB
Counselling services for students and scientists from Ukraine and Russia

The International Office offers advising for students and researchers at Leibniz University Hannover (LUH) who come from Ukraine, Russia or Belarus and are experiencing difficulties due to the Ukraine war. Students and researchers from Ukraine who flee to Germany can also get help here. Possible topics include financing, looking for accommodation, right of residence and much more.

Contact person for students:
Ludolf von Dassel
phone: +49 511 762-3964

Contact person for scientists:
Manuela Schimmels
phone: +49 511 762-17661

Donations, humanitarian aid, accommodation
Many LUH members are already supporting citizens in and from Ukraine. A list of ways to help can be found here:

Information on the impact of the war in Ukraine

In these FAQs you will find important information about the war in Ukraine.


  • I would like to apply to study at LUH. What are the requirements?

    University entrance qualification

    A higher education entrance qualification (Hochschulzugangsberechtigung / HZB) is usually a school-leaving certificate or first degree with which you are also allowed to study in your home country. You can check for yourself how your qualifications are assessed in Germany without obligation on the DAAD website.

    School and university qualifications are assessed and sorted into three categories:

    • Direct access: The degree is directly accepted for a course of study.
    • Assessment test/Studienkolleg: You have to attend a Studienkolleg for subject-related preparation for the degree programme before you can study.
    • Subject-oriented: If you have a subject-oriented HZB, you may only study certain subjects. The subject area is determined, for example, by the subject area in which you have a school leaving certificate or study experience.

    Language skills

    In order to study at LUH, you must provide proof of special language skills, depending on the course of study. German certificates are required for every Bachelor's and almost all Master's degree programmes at level C1. Some Master's programmes require English at level B2 or C1.

    You can find the required language levels and other admission requirements in our list of degree programmes.

    You can find information on which language certificates the LUH accepts on the LLC website.

  • What is a Studienkolleg?

    Many applicants from abroad have to attend a Studienkolleg for one year and pass a final examination (= Feststellungsprüfung/assessment test) before they can study. After this, you have a direct subject-related HZB. To be accepted at the Studienkolleg, you must pass an entrance test.

    • The Studienkolleg offers courses that prepare you for the entrance exam.
      You can find more informatin on this on the Studienkolleg website.
    • You cannot apply directly for the Studienkolleg. Please apply at a university or college for your desired subject. You will then receive an invitation to take the entrance examination at the Studienkolleg.

    Your school leaving certificate does not allow you to study in Germany?

  • How do I apply for a place at university or the Studienkolleg?

    Please download the form "Disclosure of Educational Data for Refugees" and fill it out thoroughly. Be sure to include all the documents that can prove the claims you make on the form. After that, please apply for the desired study programme using the LUH online application portal. Please upload the self-disclosure form and all the required documents to the Leibniz University Hannover application portal.


    Application period:

    • December 1–January 15 for summer semester
    • June 1–July 15 for winter semester


    The application deadlines for prospective students from Germany and the EU countries apply.


    The application deadlines for prospective students from non-EU countries apply.

  • Are credits / exams from abroad recognised?

    You can apply as described above and have your achievements from abroad recognised after enrolment. However, it is likely that not all achievements will be recognised.

    You can find more information on the page on recognition of achievements.

  • Can I apply without my certificates?

    At Leibniz University Hannover, it is possible to apply for an undergraduate degree programme even if your certificates are incomplete or completely missing. In this case, please use the self-disclosure form „Disclosure of Educational Data for Refugees“ for the application to explain why the certificate documents cannot be submitted. Apart from that, the application process remains the same.

    Some master’s degree programmes also allow refugees to apply with incomplete or missing certificates. If you are interested in applying for a master’s degree programme and would like to learn more, please contact us by email.

    If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us by email.

  • How can I quickly attend courses at LUH?

    You can register for the guest student programme. This is offered free of charge for asylum seekers and at a reduced rate for people receiving social benefits. You can attend almost all lectures and write exams in consultation with the lecturers. Achievements can later be credited towards a "real" degree programme. There is no legal entitlement to this and recognition is clarified with the faculty in each individual case. Guest students are not students and do not receive semester tickets. However, they do receive access to the university WLAN and can use the library and the services of the University Sports Centre and the Leibniz Language Centre.

    You can find additional information on the website of the guest student programme (in German only).

  • Who can help me with legal questions?

    The Refugee Law Clinic offers free legal advice for refugees and asylum seekers.

  • How can I finance my studies?

    BAföG for refugees

    You can apply for BAföG if you have a residence permit according to the following regulations:

    • §§ 22, 23 paragraph 1 or 2
    • §§ 23a, 25 paragraph 1 or 2
    • §24
    • § 25a

    You are welcome to use the BAföG advising service of Studentenwerk. The Job Centres in Lower Saxony continue to pay benefits if the BAföG application has not yet been processed.

    Tolerated foreigners (§60 a of the Residence Act, §25 paras. 3, 4 and 5 AufenthG) can apply for BAFöG if they have been residing legally, permitted or tolerated in the Federal territory for 15 months without interruption.

    Your asylum application has not yet been decided and you have been in Germany for less than 15 months? Benefits can still be paid in accordance with the Asylum Seekers Benefits Act.

    Working at and outside the university

    The job exchange is where you will find current job advertisements from the university. There you can apply for a job as a student assistant at LUH, for example. You can also contact your institute to ask about vacancies.

    If you are looking for work outside the university, you can use the website Stellenticket or jobbico to find jobs or internships.


    To find a suitable scholarship you need to allow some time. There are good websites that list many scholarships. It is up to you to decide whether a scholarship is right for you. It is worth applying!

    The DAAD is the world's largest funding organisation for the international exchange of students and academics. You can find the DAAD scholarship database here.

    The Begabtenförderungswerke also offer scholarships specifically for refugees and international students:

    Further scholarship programmes

  • Where can I improve my language skills?

    You can find a list of German courses offered on the page linked here.

    Please contact us directly about current offers at Leibniz Universität Hannover.

Get to know the university

Guest auditors

Everyone who is interested in studying at Leibniz University may enrol as a guest auditor to experience student life. After registering, you may attend courses in all nine faculties as well as language classes at the LLC. Guest auditors are granted access to Campus WiFi and Stud.IP.

Courses for prospective students

All other courses for prospective students are, of course, also open to you. These can be found on the Student Advisory Services website. Orientation courses are usually free of charge. If, however, fees happen to be charged, feel free to contact us.


The aim of the Schnupperstudium is to enable you to spontaneously attend seminars and lectures in a diverse range of subject areas at no cost in order to get an impression of everyday university life. Registration is not required.

University Sports Centre

Guest students are welcome to take part in the university sports for free.

Contact people

Ludolf von Dassel
Welfengarten 1A
30167 Hannover
Welfengarten 1A
30167 Hannover